Foundations Revealed Competition Entry

 Foundations Revealed Competition Dress Entry

Some of you may remember the TV Bustle Dress, it was the one out of gold striped fabric.  The post about the skirt is here


The theme was "Once Upon A Time" and I chose the character of the traveler from the Poem by Robert Frost "The Road Less Traveled"

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

So the traveller, what does travel mean? To me travel is to go where one has never gone before and this dress went into the new and uncharted territory of the first bustle era. With all its weird ties and big bustles, the journey of this dress from folded fabric to a wearable garment was an adventure in itself. We hit some mountains, we hit some valleys, but at the end the lessons learned was worth it, and there was the added bonus of having a fun dress to wear.


Once I had decided to switch to this instead of the brown wool dress, we pulled out of the closet and over a bustle and corset. We trekked down to the beautiful Jackson Train Station, which at one point was the midpoint for travelers going between Detroit and Chicago. Despite the cold my Love was able to grab some nice pictures and the dress was submitted to the Foundations Revealed Contest, nearly  a full 24 hours before the deadline. Hey, I'm good at sewing and procrastinating, not trying to meet deadlines early. 





Comments

  1. What a beautiful gown! Job well done and it fits so well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodice with Bretelles

Sissi Wedding dress

Octagon Bodice with Bretelles: Introduction and history