Bodice with Bretelles


This lovely Satin Material is the Park Square in Adobe from the Allen Park collection, sadly no longer available. Good thing I had seven yards of it, enough for a dress for me and vest for the hubby.


The bodice had to be cut twice, the first time the lines were offset, oops. 

Ah the bretelles. 19th century ladies liked their french fou fou names. Any ordinary style instantly becomes 10x fancier with a french name attached. 



Few, the bodice fit. Which was great since I like to live dangerously and skip the mock-up step. 


Alright Bretelles, I see you there. LOOKING ALL FINE.... buttt it didn't match quite right, time to recut. 



That's better on matching. The bretelles and hook and eyes were completely handsewn in. Poor middle finger had worn through, snd the unfortunate old curse from the sewing shop returned. If I wear my middle finger skin through too much, and needles are dull, the back of the needle will start going into my finger instead of the material. This is why thimbles are so nice and important, the hard part is learning how to use one. 





Welll, the front matched. And I'm something called lazy. But its on the back so as long as it can't be seen in reflections or mirrors, we're calling it good. 


Ta da!! For four days its not horrible. Now to ply it with pretty period accurate fou fou and call it good. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sissi Wedding dress

Octagon Bodice with Bretelles: Introduction and history