In the pursuit of the perfect historical impression, I tried my hand at being a camp laundress. The first time I did a load of laundry, I flew into it blind with nothing but a piece of notebook paper with a few scribbles of instructions on it. Surprise, surprise, I ended up messing up... big time. There was a nice young man who I had a bit of a crush on who had offered up one if his white shirts to use during my test run. I went through the process, the bluing was added, the white looked fabulous waving on the line like the flag of surrender. Apparently things were going too well as I pulled the fresh smelling laundry off the line and pulled the iron off the fire to begin pressing the clothes, my 21st century brain did not even contemplate for a second that my hunk of cast iron was not temperature controlled and had been sitting over the fire for two hours. As I was patting myself on the back for such a job well done, the iron was placed on top of the shirt... leaving the perfect outline of the bottom of the iron right smack dab in the middle of the white fabric. Aghast, I ran for my basket of cleaning supplies, but it was all for naught. My dreams and hopes of the young man and I ever being together flashed before my eyes, before swirling down the cesspool of defeat. The shirt was ruined, there was no hope for it. It had croaked, kicked the bucket, stick it in a tote bag, over the hill, it was done for.
He actually took the loss of his shirt quite well, even joked about making it part of his impression and making up a fun story about his "girl" back home being pretty but not smart and assured me that with a vest, noone would see the giant four by ten black triangle. Surprisingly, he never did ask me out.

And thus ended my escapade as a laundress. Some people just aren't cut out for it, and clearly I was one of those people. Oh well, I found something even better... SEWING!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sissi Wedding dress

Bodice with Bretelles